Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Race for the Cure

Did I accomplish my goal? Yes and no....
I went 6 miles but at mile 4 my knee started to bug me and almost to mile 5 it really started to hurt. So I finished by walking to a mailbox then running to a tree until I made it back home.
Am I disappointed? A little.
Am I proud? Heck yes. For one I got my bootie out of bed this morning (even after some serious snooze button usage. Then I actually convinced myself to walk out the door. If I don't think I can do something then I usually don't even try. I had a 4 mile block, I didn't think I could go past that. It has been my longest run for weeks now. Silly part? I have run farther in the past. But I did it...more then 4.

Side note: Really people when your windows are frosty it takes an additional 2 minutes to scrape all of your windows. I ran out in front of a car at an intersection and wondered why the person was rolling down his window. Why? So he could see. Suddenly it dawned on me what was happening and I started to sprint out of his way in case he didn't see me. My lesson: pay more attention.




So tomorrow I should be participating in the Race for the Cure. It is actually the first race I ever participated in. I did it with the Tina's Titans in support of my aunt who was battling breast cancer. I told myself I would do it every year and I haven't done it since. I am not sure I can tell you why I haven't but I just haven't. Tina lost her battle with breast cancer November 4th, 2007. I miss her very much. I can honestly tell you that she is one of my biggest inspirations for trying to stay healthy and active. She was always on the go and loved sports. During her cancer treatments she still often went to the gym though her doctor wanted her to keep it low key (no kick boxing classes). I am a little disappointed in myself that I have made an excuse every year. I am however going to spend Mother's Day weekend camping with my family and hopefully hers as well. That was also a great love of hers. She was the glue that held us all together. So as another year goes by I want to send good wishes to all of those who are participating tomorrow.
(Good luck Aunt Cheryl!)
One of my secret goals or an item on my bucket list is to run the 26.2 with Donna another breast cancer fundraiser in Florida. I guess maybe in my head 26.2 will make up for all the 3.1's I am letting pass me by locally.


Squeeze those you hold dear.


No comments:

Post a Comment