Monday, April 18, 2011

No Rest for the Weary

We have had our first battle with stomach flu at our house. Even though it was the worst 12 hours that I have had in a long time I am thankful for a few things.

1. That it was my daughter and not my son with MCADD. I felt guilty all day thinking that, I don't want her to be sick either but the thought of an ER visit with our infant is daunting. I imagine I will feel like that every time she gets sick.

2. That it happened on a Saturday night so my husband was home to help. I am sure he would have loved it to be a different weekend however because he had run Robie Creek that morning, "the toughest half marathon in the NW."

3. That my mom came over to keep the baby away from his sister while we ran around with buckets and towels.

4. That we were able to take short naps yesterday. 2 hours of sleep is not enough for an already sleep deprived momma.

5. That my mom is coming over again today. Baby boy decided that nighttime was over at 6am this morning. So even though big sister is sleeping away, we are both wide awake.

6. That I remembered I have an appointment this evening for a free hour massage.

I could come up with a few more things to be thankful for but I will let it rest at that.
(I am not however, thankful for the rain falling outside my window, I am definitely over the unusually wet spring we are having.)

My husband I am sure would shake his head right now at my positive post since less then an hour ago I was giving him such a bad time for going to work instead of changing the babies diaper. I have an excuse: sleep deprivation.

He hasn't been sleeping in the bedroom with us (sad I know, I miss him but at least he is somewhat rested) he keeps the baby monitor with him in case I need him in the middle of the night. Last night I asked that he listen for the alarm clock because I was afraid that I would not be able to get up.
In the middle of the night I awoke with a start and there was a dark face looming over me. I have not been so startled, I jumped and my heart started racing. Once I figured out what was going on he asked if I got up for the 12:30 feeding. Again my heart started racing and I threw off the covers not having any idea what time it was. Luckily it was only 12:50 and that he did get up to wake me up.
Do you think the massage therapist will mind a little snoring this evening?

1 comment:

  1. In the first three months, there were lots of times when we overslept by 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc. It's gonna be fine. It always helps me to remember that the 4 hour mark (that's what our doctors recommended, I know each case is different) is just a ballpark figure.

    Because there were so many times that I would bolt out of bed too, only to realize I was only 25 minutes late. And THEN, with that rush, it's really hard to fall back asleep :)

    ReplyDelete