Tuesday, June 14, 2011

First Scare

We had our first MCADD scare this week.

Monday morning I dropped the kids off at my sisters, fed the baby at 10:30 before I left to work. At 2 I called to check in and she told me he hadn't eaten anything yet. He had a fussy morning and seemed to have a belly ache but at her first attempt he didn't want to eat. He was napping but she was going to wake him to eat at 2:30, the 4 hour mark.

She called me at work at 3:30 telling me that she still couldn't get him to eat. She tried breatmilk and formula and he was having none of it. My husband was closer so I called him to run over there and I quickly tried to call the genetic counselor. Of course she is not in on Mondays. I grabbed my emergency letter from my wallet and called the pager number. Luckily I was patched through to the geneticists office in Oregon. I got a real person who promised she would call back. I waited, and waited, and waited. It seemed like forever though only about 10 minutes. I couldn't wait longer so I called them back. In her haste she forgot to ask my name and had taken down the wrong number. She told me that the geneticist wanted us to take him to the ER. Panic set in as I called my husband.

HE WAS EATING. By the time it was all said and done he had gulped down 6 ounces which is a lot for him. I called the geneticists office and they told me that we didn't need to head to the ER but to feed him more often the rest of the day.

I am so very glad that we didn't end up in the ER. I am SO very thankful.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Mama. My heart was racing just reading this. I am so glad everything worked out fine and you avoided the ER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your baby eventually ate, and you avoided the ER! You did a wonderful job calling your doctor and handling the situation. :)

    ReplyDelete