Monday, March 28, 2011

Here we go again.

What started as a blog about melanoma quickly turned into a blog about goals. I discovered that when caught early all you can really say about melanoma is: remember to wear sunscreen.

So for some reason shortly after child birth God decides to give me just an extra little challenge. With my daughter (now two) came the melanoma diagnosis. With my son (one month) came the discovery that he has a genetic disorder called MCADD. Although the first few weeks were pretty scary we have come to learn that it is something that is very manageable, basically the little guy cannot fast. So I am getting him up every 3 hours to eat whether he wants to or not. For me it has just been a matter of learning to live with very little sleep. The part where this disorder gets frightening is when he gets a fever or the stomach flu. His metabolism will run high and he won't feel like eating, or he won't be able to keep anything down. We then have an express pass at the ER and he goes in for an IV of glucose. We have had a meeting with a genetic counselor and are waiting for an appointment with the geneticist. Our geneticist comes to Boise from Portland 3 times a year so we have to wait to meet with him until his next visit. I am hoping that he will let the little guy go a little longer between feedings.

So instead of melanoma, or goals, or MCADD I have decided to focus my blog on survival. Dramatic I know.
It is all worth it and I wouldn't trade in anything. Not my sassy, fun little two year old or my beautiful little boy that just needs to eat, not my crazy husband that always wants to do something because he can't sit still, and not my desire to run even though I dread heading out to do it. I am going to charge into the day with bags under my eyes. If the house is still standing and I have had a shower at the end then it most definitely has been a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Believe it or not the lack of sleep gets bearable as time goes on. When your little one hits one year old they might prescribe corn starch so he can make it longer at night.

    You are not alone:) You sound like a fighter- which is probably the most important trait for a FOD momma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I saw your post on Susan's blog & wanted to to touch base with you re: MCADD. My son is a year old today & has VLCADD. It has gotten much easier to manage the older he has gotten.

    Please check out my blog - I'm trying to create a list of various FaOD blogs & mitochondrial disease blogs. There is another MCADD family featured.

    http://reallywhatwerewethinking.blogspot.com/p/vlcadd.html

    I totally agree with Susan, you are definitely NOT alone in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the lack of sleep becomes easier to manage. And at about 2 months, our baby got into the pattern too, and would wake up to dream feed. We don't set the alarm anymore, which feels more natural.

    ReplyDelete